75 lat Politechniki Łódzkiej

recognition of foreign certificates and diplomas

Recognition of foreign school certificates for the purpose of application for the first cycle studies in Poland.


Recognition of a foreign school certificate as equal to a Polish one occurs:

1) by law - that is, without certifying by other institutions or bodies in Poland

2) as a result of the administrative procedure by the Polish educational authority (kurator oświaty).


1) Types of certificates which are recognized in Poland by law:

  • Secondary school certificate obtained in the education systems of a member state of the European Union, the European Free Trade Association - European Economic Area and the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), which gives one right to apply for higher education institutions in the country where it was issued. This applies to the school certificates obtained in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Spain, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, Liechtenstein Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, the USA, Hungary, Great Britain, Italy;
  • IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) issued by the International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva;
  • EB Diploma (European Baccalaureate) issued by the European Schools, in accordance with the Convention on the Statute of the European Schools, signed in Luxembourg on 21 June 1994 .;
  • Certificates recognised in Poland by international agreements.

2) Certificates not listed above must be recognized as equivalent to the corresponding Polish school certificate by the Polish educational authorities, in accordance with the Regulation of the Minister of National Education of 27 March 2015 on the procedure for the recognition or acknowledgment education or permission to continue their education obtained in a foreign education system.

Kuratorium Oświaty in Łódź, al. Kościuszki 120a, tel.: (+48) 42 636 61 30

Documents needed for nostrification:

- legalised of provided with apostille high school certificate together with the list of subjects and grades (supplement);

- information that the certificate gives one right to study in higher education institutions in the country where it was issued (such information can be obtained in the Ministry of Education or in the Polish Consulate in the country where it was issued);

- sworn translation of the certificate to Polish language (list of sworn translators available at the website of the Ministry of Justice)

Recognition of foreign diplomas for the purpose of application for the second cycle (postgraduate) and third cycle (PhD) studies in Poland


If a Bachelor’s or Master’s Diplomas give a foreigner the right to continue education on higher levels in the country where they were issued, they give them the same right in Poland. If the Diplomas do not give the right, but a foreigner still wants to continue education in Poland, they can be recognised in the procedure of nostrification.

Nostrification is a procedure whereby a foreign educational qualification is compared to its Polish equivalent and their equivalence determined. The competent authorities to conduct the nostrification procedure are:

- with regard to school and maturity certificates – local educational authorities having jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence and, in case the applicant has no such place of residence, the local educational authorities having jurisdiction over the head office of the institution where the applicant applies for admission.

- with regard to higher education diplomas (university degrees) – organizational unit of a higher education institution authorized to confer an academic degree of a doktor (doctor) in a given field of science or in a given field of art providing education in an area corresponding to a field of study completed abroad.

- with regard to academic degrees – Council of the organizational unit authorized to confer an academic degree of doktor habilitowany (doctor habilitatus) in a given academic field or in a given field of art within the scope of a given academic discipline or of a given artistic discipline concerned with the academic degree.


The deadline for submission of the relevant equivalence certificate is by the end of the first semester of studies.

Poznaj nasz kampus